Tuesday 9 March 2010

Monday's mindfulness

I had a great training session with Zag and while it was not very heavy, it was a great learning experience. The bar work is helping me keep the bar close and this session felt more fluid than the last one. I am really starting to get used to the wider grip now and hopefully I can get back to the level of power I am used to and beyond that again. Things did not go quite to plan for Zag, but he got all his lifts and worked through his dodgy session which is all we can do on days like that.Here is what I did:

Snatch work with bar and power plate for 15 minutes.

Snatch--1x2@40, 40, 40, 40, 60 1x1@80, 90, 94 for five singles. A bit more pop is still needed but each session it gets a little better.

Snatch Pull--1x2@90, 100 for three doubles

Power Clean and Jerk--1x2@60, 60, 80 1x1@90, 100, 105 for three singles.

Back Squat--1x3@90, 110, 130, 142, 152 for three doubles.

For me, training five days a week is better for skill development than four days a week because that fifth day allows you to get more reps in and literally build skill. The key I think is to keep the extra sessions light enough so that they work in as active recovery and skill work, rather than simply banging away with as heavy weights as possible. At least, this is what I am thinking right now for me. I need to build skill in weightlifting technique, power and strength. Skill acquisition needs repition and conscious, mindful practise. Then when the skill is built, you learn to lift without consious thought. I need to work consciously on my technique and then leave the overthinking at the door when the weights go past 80%. Then when I am far more skillful and disciplined mentally, I will be able to park my brain outside for training and competitions.

Here are two articles that I found fascinating. The first is by Bob Takano and it is about developing atmosphere in the gym. I think this point is relaly important and this is something that myself and the lads mentioned after our trip to London when we did our star interviews.

The last article that I found fascinating was written by Pierre Roy, a Canadian weightlifting coach that was Charles Poliquin's mentor. It is on developing power for weightlifting and anyone with any interest in power sports needs to read this. It should be interesting to rad peoples' opinions on the man's thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment