Friday 15 January 2010

Wednesday's wholesale opinions



I had a short session on Tuesday to work out the stiffness from Monday's session and I did very little. I did a few doubles in the Snatch up to 70 and Clean and Jerk doubles up to 90 and then a single with 100. On Wednesday, I was training with Zag and Wayne and it was a prductive session overall. We Snatched, Clean and Jerked, took a 25 minute break and then Snatched again and ended the session with day 2 of the Russian squat program. Here is what I did:

Snatch--1x2@40, 40, 40, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95 1x1@100
My technique and positioning was as rough as it has ever been. I was far from fresh and I knew it, but I was happy not to miss any Snatches despite the ugliness of my lifting. Today was a day to get the lifts irregardless of form. My catch was solid and reasonably quick and this saved me on the day.

Clean and Jerk--1x2@70, 70, 90 1x1@ 100,110, 120, 130
I only went up to 130 because Sami did 120 and narrowly missed 125. The blessings of competition; it always brings out the best in my lifting. Wayne did a lovely Clean with 120--his shoulder is still preventing him Jerking. In the second session he got 97 in the Snatch also and Front Squatted 140 easily enough.

Snatching in the second session--1x2@40, 40, 60, 80 1x1@90, 100, 105--This was a limit lift on the day and I was happy to get it considering how rough my lifting was. Sami got 94 pretty easily also.

Back Squat--1x3@100, 126, 135, 144 for 6 triples @80%. This was tough and on the sixth set I missed the last rep. I had to do a seventh set so I got on with it and although it took around four seconds, I got through the sticking point on the last rep. This is supposed to be the easy week of the squat program...

A series of interviews with the lads about the trip in London and how it went is soon to follow and is currently being made. We all discuss what we enjoyed about the trip and ways that we thought it could have been improved upon:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi barry
your blog is really enjoyable i just wish it was updated more often i have been reading another irish weightlifters blog by some handsome fella called murph i just wish you updated as often as him then your blog might be as good as his

brendan said...

is this handsome fellow Murph a bodybuider??lol

Eamonn Flanagan said...

No, he is very very hairy though.

Franklin said...

If you measure the height of your squat sticking point you might a try few heavy single concentric squat using a power-rack or some saw-horses .. this is right out of "From the Ground Up" by Dan John. I've been doing this recently and I swear its why I recently added 4kg to my clean recovery.

Barry said...

I have read that too Franklin and it i a good idea that I will consider after I am finished the Russian squat program.

I agree with both of the points above: Murph IS very, very hairy; and yes, his blog is better researched and is written in a far more appealing style.

Anonymous said...

I have a foam roller for you (FOC)Barry - its with Shane & Karen.

brendan said...

Great blog guys. Great for motivaton. Love the banter

Paul said...

Very motivational Barry! I'm only a 43 year old beginner powerlifter, but this sh1t is brilliant!!

Paul (from the Hercs)

Post a Comment