Monday 25 May 2009

Monday's mid-afternoon double session.

I had a great session today. Because I had a bit more time, I split it in two and felt a bit fresher as a result. Here was the plan for today:

1. Snatch: Work up to 91kg for 4 sets of 2--These were much better than last week and I was happy with them. When I finished the pull they were in a better position. The fourth set was really tough and I did not miss any which is progess from last time.

2. Power Clean: Work up to 100kg for 3 x sets of 3--These were fine. I focused on the speed of my extension and they were tiring, but high and fast. A light weight but that third rep is the one that Ron Burgundy would describe as the "deep burn".

3. Clean Pulls: Work up to 135kg for 3 sets of 2--These were not great today. I was not maintaining my upper back arch and they did not feel as smooth as before.

4. Back Squats: Work up to 140kg for 3 x sets of 5 reps--The weight was fine again, but the five reps are tiring. Gods knows what the 10 rep maxes Pete is doing are like...

5. Weighted Plank: 3 x 60 second holds

The weights in each exercise increased and the only exercise that did not feel great were the Clean Pulls, so I was happy with how the session went. It was supposed to be a lightish session but because I only got four sessions in last week I decided to finish off the program. For the final two sessions this week I will pick two of the sessions and simply do them lighter.
Here are two videos of Tommy Kono, the legendary American lifter, giving a presentation on the Snatch. Like most great things, it is a simple, but deceptively so. I think one can gain a lot from watching it more than once as there are a few great tips that you only fully understand the second time through. Here they are:



2 comments:

snatch_pete said...

10's take a while to get used to. They hurt......but not as much as watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87D-JyichM

I feel like such a pussy everytime I watch this.

Franklin said...

Thanks for posting the Tommy Kono videos .. they were excellent. He ended with a very provocative comment about American lifters focusing too much on volume and losing explosiveness from training too often to keep the large volume up.

Post a Comment