Thursday 21 May 2009

Wednesday's wrecked feeling

Today's session was a tough one. I enjoyed it but it was hard to get through. I was up for the session and looking forward to it, but the finish was not there. Here is what I did today:

1. Snatch--I did a few singes up to 90 and then I went for 96, missed it badly. Then 95 which I missed badly and then 90, with the same result. It was not happening today at all so I left it at this point.

2. Snatch Pull: Work up to 100kg for 4 doubles--These got better as each set progressed.

3. Power Jerk: Work up to 97kg for 3 sets of 3--The weight was fine, but I am still getting used to this exercise. On every set the third rep was the best. This does not say a lot about my concentration.

4. Back Squat: Work up to 140kg for 3 sets of 3--This was hard only because I was knackered. The ten seconds before each set was the toughest bit.

That was it. Unglamorous and warts and all. I was wrecked by the end and had nothing left to squander. Let's hope tomorrow's session has more to offer.

7 comments:

snatch_pete said...

The ten seconds before each set was the toughest bit.

What does this mean?

Barry said...

Getting up off the bench to get ready for the set. It was hard to focus the mind because it kept trying to wander off due to fatigue. It was a point that maintaining focus can be harder than the carrying out of the exercise.

Hugh said...

Please explain power jerk...

Barry said...

Instead of Jerking into a split stance, you Jerk straight up and down just like Dimas does, except without an elephant on your shoulders. It works on your drive coming out of the dip. When you catch the bar your feet go out a few inches in the catch, they don't split.

Hugh said...

That sounds suspiciously like a push press to me. What's the difference?

Barry said...

With a power Jerk you rebend the legs to catch, therefore getting under it more and enabling you to lift more weight. You also move your feet out when getting under in the catch, unlike the push press where you upper body finished the lift.

snatch_pete said...

Main difference between push press and power jerk is in push press the end of the movement is finished with a press out of the arm. Power jerk should involve leg drive powering bar to full lockout of arms with no arm press.

Post a Comment